How Pumpkins Benefit Your Dental Health
Pumpkins are much more than fun fall decorations — they’re also a nutritional powerhouse with some surprising health benefits for your mouth.
Add some pumpkin to your diet during the autumn months to boost your intake of these vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin A. Did you know that one cup of pumpkin can give you more than 200% of your daily Vitamin A intake? Vitamin A is important in maintaining gum health.
- Vitamin C. One cup of pumpkin supplies 20% of your needed daily Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps fight off infection and reduce inflammation in your gums.
- Iron. Iron helps prevent anemia by keeping your tongue and gums healthy. You can find this mineral in pumpkin seeds.
- Zinc. Pumpkins contain zinc, which helps replenish the lining of your gums — especially the areas next to teeth.
- Magnesium. In conjunction with calcium, magnesium helps strengthen teeth and bones. One ounce of pumpkin seeds can fulfill 35% of your daily magnesium needs.
Want more information on how to keep your smile healthy? View our gallery of tips.